“I use this basic recipe to make cream sauces for different recipes. I change spices depending on what type of meal I am making. Making your own cream sauce is so much more economical than buying it in a jar. Plus it tastes so much better,” she said.
Homemade cream base for use in Steph’s scalloped potatoes and ham:
- Start with 3 tbs. of real butter in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add 2-3 tbs. of flour (as you do this it will become paste-like.)
- Turn up heat so it will begin to bubble.
- Slowly add 1 can of evaporated milk and stir.
- Use the empty milk can and fill it with water – stir water into saucepan and continue whisking.
- Add half block of cream cheese (cut cream cheese into cube so it will melt quicker.)
- Sauce will thicken.
- Now add these spices: pepper, garlic salt and Parmesan cheese (add more or less depending on your taste preference.)
You still with me?
- Okay, now layer sliced (with skins on) potatoes in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Add ham. (We slow-cooked a picnic ham all day and then sliced it up for this recipe.)
- Pour cream sauce mixture over entire baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350′ for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Serve to hungry family!!