Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
In this old-country favorite, cooked cabbage leaves surround a seasoned mixture of ground beef, rice and spices, baked with tomato sauce and covered in Parmesan cheese.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 1 medium head cabbage, core removed
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 2-quart saucepan, heat water and rice to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 12 to 14 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in 6-quart Dutch oven, cook whole head of cabbage in enough boiling water to cover about 3 minutes or just until outer leaves are softened. Remove cabbage from water; remove as many leaves as can easily be removed. Return cabbage to water; repeat process until 16 leaves are removed.
- In large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in ground beef, onion, salt, oregano, pepper and cooked rice. For each roll, place about 3 tablespoons beef mixture in cooked cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in ends to completely cover mixture. Place seam side down in baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over rolls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake 50 to 60 minutes or until bubbly around edges, cheese is melted and beef is thoroughly cooked.
Tips & Techniques
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft):
Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place beef mixture in cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in ends to completely cover mixture.